The queer fever bump on the slope to fitness

Fitness exists in a plateau for me. When I am not very fit, or downright unfit, and not working out for months, I consider myself on an unfit flat plane. I kind of like this state too. Its drifty, peaty, lazy and floaty in nature. I have relaxed mornings, with long coffees, and relaxed evenings with single malts. I know that one day I will rise from this slumber and start working out, and get fit. I have been through many such cycles in last 20 years to know that it shall happen. I am, by nature, not a long term unfit kind of person. 

Then one fine day, long after my paunch has given up embarrassing the newer holes in the belt, I get to working out. My fitness level improves and I fall sick. Random fever types. If I give up at this point, I come back to unfit plane, and if I don't, I continue to higher fitness levels till I plateau. The fitness plateau. I am fit in this plane. My mornings are crisp with a stronger shot of black, and evenings are either abstinence or a single shot. The body disciplines itself to control the diet. 

Then the cycle takes its turn. The reason changes every time for the journey down the slope, but I do climb down after staying at the plateau for some time. On my way down, I encounter another round of fever or illness. With same effects and consequence. 

I find it queer that both up and down the slope there is an illness bump. I cross it both ways. Every time.  I recently crossed it on the way up. 

And as I grow older, I see the cycles taking longer to repeat. The slope is getting flatter, and the plateau on the top is getting closer to the flat plane below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The looming influence - short story

Pradip woke up with a start. He was sweating. It was the same dream again. He had barely completed three questions out of eight when the b...